slide show

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Photographic Proof, With Love


Soon after I started photographing in 2003, I began to hear something from most of my moms that came into the studio: that it was the first time that they had felt beautiful in a very long time.  I started to realize that, like me, many of the moms who bring in their families or portraits have given so much to everyone around them that they have forgotten about themselves and were worn to the bone. 

Even still, I see so many moms pushed to the limit, left with only the energy to treat themselves to a fountain soda or a treat from the Starbucks drive through.  Worn out and at our limit, who has time, and, more importantly, who WANTS to work out or do any of the things that we used to do B.C. (before children)?  My bed, cozy jammies, and Jersey Shore sounds like paradise to me. 

However, when I look in the mirror, I wonder what happened to the girl who once loved to travel, tan, go shopping, and get drinks with friends.  Staring back at me is, well, a “before” makeover.  Putting on full makeup has been exchanged for a few swipes of mascara (if I am lucky); full styling of hair has been exchanged for a quick ponytail of frizz; and getting dressed up means putting on some yoga pants to grab a quick dinner from the Germantown Grille before my allotted time for child care has run out (Seven, how I miss thee).

Yes, motherhood is much different than I once thought it would be.  However, here is what I know: 

I wouldn’t have it any other way.

We are all busy.  Most of us have a very difficult time feeling like we have disappointed someone, and will run ourselves into the ground to make sure that everyone around us is happy. 

Personally, I do like making people happy.  It gives me great pleasure.  Making tired, deserving mommies feel beautiful again gives me great joy.  What they don’t always realize is that their beauty still resides within, and all that I do is simply draw that out.

I also know that I can show them photographic proof that all of their energy, everything that they give, everything they do, down to their bones, has gone to the very best cause in the world: 

Their smiling, beautiful, priceless children.

Until next time, lots of love,
Ona

 To Lindsay, my best friend always & one of the most beautiful, busy moms I know.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Connect with Me

PhotobucketPhotobucket